History

Sears Antioch Crossing 1956Antioch Center opened in 1956 as an outdoor plaza with almost 500,000 square feet, and was the first major suburban-style center in the Northland. Built with the automobile in mind, Antioch Center was designed with a retail center located in the middle of the property, and a sea of parking lots surrounding it on all sides for convenience.

Antioch Center was anchored by a two-level, 102,000 square foot Macy’s Kansas City on the north end, and was joined by junior anchors Woolworth and W.T. Grant. It was also home to the first location for ShowBiz Pizza Place, a pizzeria chain that would later become known as Chuck E. Cheese’s. Antioch Center was also the first suburban location of Forum Cafeterias.

In 1974, a Sears store was added. Further renovation came in 1978, when the mall was fully enclosed. Macy’s was converted to the Dillard’s nameplate in 1986 and that of Burlington Coat Factory in 1992. Other anchor stores that operated at the mall included Levitz Furniture, as well as Payless Cashways, a home improvement store. It now houses approximately five stores, with Sears and Burlington Coat Factory as its anchors.

In November of 2010, the redevelopment plans for the new Antioch Crossing began to take shape and current plans will retain the current retail tenants in the new open-air, mixed use complex as well as adding national and local restaurants and retail shops.